Optometric Assistant, Optician Assistant, Ophthalmic Assistant, Eyewear Consultant, Optical Technician, Dispensing Assistant, Optical Sales Associate, Vision Care Assistant, Eyewear Specialist, Optical Support Staff
An optical assistant works under supervision in an optical practice to assist people with choosing frames and lenses. Some optical assistants also have the training to allow them to carry out initial assessments before an eye examination such as autorefraction.
- Greeting customers at the door as they enter the shop
- Helping customers select the correct frame for their lenses
- Measuring the frames and ensuring they fit perfectly
- Ordering prescription glasses and contact lenses in for the customer
- Making follow-up appointments for customers
- Making adjustments to the frames when the customer collects their glasses
- Carrying out pre-screening tests such as retinal imaging and pressure and visual field testing
- Explaining offers and products to customers
- Taking payments from customers.
- Positive attitude and energy.
- Customer service skills.
- Sales skills.
- Great communication skills so you can talk to customers and listen to their needs when helping them choose products.
- A sense of fashion and an eye for detail.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- A willingness to learn.